Spire.PDF is a professional PDF library applied to creating, writing, editing, handling and reading PDF files without any external dependencies. Get free and professional technical support for Spire.PDF for .NET, Java, Android, C++, Python.

Fri Aug 23, 2024 4:38 pm

Hi all,

Can you suggest a strategy for pulling vertical text, like:

t
x
e
t

s
i

s
i
h
t

But rotated 90 degrees, from a table cell without dropping characters or ignoring spaces? If I try the getText() method in PdfTable I get things like thisistext or thiss tet (missing some letters/characters).

Also, there are checkmarks under these vertical cells, which are recognized as text if you do OCR in Adobe Acrobat but aren't recognized as anything, as far as I can tell (the table cells come back empty) with Spire.PDF (or anything else, for that matter). Can you suggest a way to identify them? They're green, if that helps.

Thanks!

jsrcastrogiovanni

Mon Aug 26, 2024 8:25 am

Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry. I conducted a simple simulation test with the latest (Spire.PDF for Java Version:10.8.1) and found that using the 'getText() method' can also recognize vertical text correctly. In order to assist us in conducting a more accurate investigation and resolving your issue, could you provide us with relevant input PDF documents?You can upload here or send it to us via email( support@e-iceblue.com ). Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,
Amin
E-iceblue support team

Amin.Gan

Thu Sep 05, 2024 5:01 pm

Apologies for the long delay; it took some time to get the dummy report I needed. Please find it attached as a PDF inside a ZIP.

jsrcastrogiovanni

Fri Sep 06, 2024 7:43 am

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback.
Using your new attached PDF document, I was able to reproduce the same issue. This issue has been logged in our bug tracking system under the number SPIREPDF-7026. Our Dev team will investigate it further, once there is any update, we will let you know.

Sincerely,
Amin
E-iceblue support team

Amin.Gan

Fri Sep 06, 2024 2:29 pm

Thank you;
This is a critical issue for us, so any progress you can make would be greatly appreciated.
Best,
Jessica

jsrcastrogiovanni

Fri Sep 06, 2024 2:45 pm

Actually, I just noticed something else that isn't replicated in this dummy report but may be connected -- in the "Amount Provided" table cell under "Chain of Custody", any value that has spaces in it gets only the text before the first space using getText(). I unfortunately cannot create another demo report, but given that this is a similar bug to the missing characters in the vertical text, I'd be willing to bet it's related.

jsrcastrogiovanni

Mon Sep 09, 2024 8:13 am

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback.
I have added an extra space to your previous document and tested it using the latest version(Spire.PDF for Java : 10.9.0) , but the result still shows that everything is normal. I have attached the modified PDF file and a screenshot of my test results for your reference. Also, if you are not using our latest version, you can upgrade first. If only your other documents have this issue, we also need your document to further reproduce this problem.Thank you in advance.
In addition, regarding SPIREPDF-7026, our Dev team is investigating it now. Once there is any significant progress, we will inform you as soon as possible.

Sincerely,
Amin
E-iceblue support team

Amin.Gan

Return to Spire.PDF